Need Advice!

HELP ladies.... no one I know "in real life" has had any advice that has worked thus far. I'm turning to you now in hopes that someone out there knows the trick

The "Situation": Kyah has always been a wonderful sleeper. We would just lay him down and he would go to sleep. Really... it was that simple. He would sleep through the night (12+ hours) no questions asked. These last 2 weeks have been a whole different ball game.  Although Kyah has been able to stand up, walk along the furniture, crawl...etc, he just figured out that he could do this in his crib as well.  Talk about a turn of events at bedtime.

When I lay him down he wiggles out of his blankets, crawls around, stands up and eventually screams {and yes, he knows how to lay back down}. I have no idea who this new child is, but I would gladly take my pervious Kyah Baby back.

What I have tried {and keep in mind that he is tired... and needs to sleep. I'm not laying him down for kicks and giggles}:

• he has always slept with a sound machine (white noise) with the volume up loud. This has not changed nor will it.
  • we have tried tightly swaddling him (arms included) in his blanket. This worked for the first few nights. He has since figured out how to maneuver out of it.
  • I have let him scream for hours in hopes that he would get tired and fall asleep. Nothing.  I would check on him after about 40 minutes and lay him back down. I dis NOT get him out of the crib.
  • Since birth we have followed the Baby Wise Method and it has been great. It just doesn't have tips for the standing... That's my only concern right now... that darn standing.
  • we have played soft lullabies next to his crib. He is in a phase that any music he hears is "dance music" and he thinks that there's a party going on.
  • lastly, I have rocked him until he is woosy and his eyes are rolling. I lay him down and all is well.  He falls right to  sleep, no questions ask. This has worked every time (except for maybe twice).
Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE rocking him. I adore the time we spend together. It only takes about 10 minutes max for him to fall into the sleepy state. I however, don't want him to become dependent on this.  But the way I see it....  I believe that sleep is extremely important. It is far more important that my child gets sleep than if I am worrying over wether I am rocking him too much.  It's vital to their health and that is what's more important to me. This is the only reason I am justifying the rocking.

What I really want is a child that can lay down and go to sleep. I don't always have access to a rocking chair. I would love for him to be able to self soothe again. This is where I need you!

What would you do?
How do you get them to stay laying down? {is that possible}, how many times should you go lay them back down? Do you swaddle? Should I just keep rocking him? Are there any other tricks out there that I am missing out on?  Is this standing up just a phase? If so.. how long did it last?

I know that I am not the only one that has a child that does this. {though sometimes It feels like I am}.

NOTE: I tried something new last night and it worked great. We took our bath, got into a jammies, read a book, played for about 10 minutes to let out that "bath" energy. I bundled him up with his blanket, gave him a bottle and he was out like a light just as soon as I put him in the crib. I have high hopes that this will work again, but in case it does not, any advice you have is greatly appreciated!

..................................

And of course... here he is in all of his morning glory. He has recently learned to eat with a spoon. As you can see.. it's still a tiny bit of a messy adventure.

mmm... that was yummy!

Photobucket

14 comments:

Amber June 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Hey girl!

With Rowan, we had the opposite sleeping problem at first... until she was about 15 or 16 months old, she was still waking 4-5 times a night. Now, she's (usually,barring teething or something) a champion sleeper. That took LOTS of sleep training. well... it felt like lots. about a week or so. And honestly, we still don't let her go more than 5-10 minutes the first time she wakes. ever. Her personality is such that if she's still awake at that point, it's because she needs something.

Kyah may be a little young for this, I'm not sure . But something that really helps her now is having a few toys ad/or books in be with her. This way, she can be entertained, tire herself out, whatever. You can't do much about the standing up, whatever. He'll get used to the fact that the crib is for sleeping again. But give him something o keep him (safely!) busy while in there! Find books that play music of light up, those seem to be her fav.

Miss seeing you on FB!

Mandy @ The Party of 3 June 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Sounds like you are doing everything right! Sierra started playing in her crib at about 10 months! It was a 3-4 week phase and then she just started going to back to sleep. When I talked to our Ped about it he acted like I was crazy for being concerned! I have had Sierra on a VERY stict sleep schedule since birth and she is 7 now and year around goes to be at 8:00! My family is blown away because we can be at the lake and she is still ready for bed because her body is just so used to the same routine!!!

Erica June 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I have recently started reading the book "The Sleep Easy Solution" after many many people have reccommended it to me. Now, my daughter has never been a great sleeper but we have come so far! You may have tried this, but if not here it goes.

Lay Kyah down, say to him the same thing each night/nap time. I always give Addy a kiss on the forehead and say it's night/nap time baby girl. night night. Sometimes she goes right to sleep, others she pulls up and cries like Kyah. I wait 10 minutes, then go back in and lay her back down saying the same thing. I'm in there maybe 10 seconds. Keep doing this in 5 to 10 minute intervals. It may take a few nights but he will get the hang of it I think.

The Beach Barn June 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Does he nap during the day? If he naps more than once maybe you can cut it down to 1 nap. If he only naps once a day, maybe you can cut down the amount of time he's napping.

The Beach Barn June 29, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I have friend that's going through the same thing right now...her Facebook was loaded with lots & lots of suggestions. The main being "down time" before bed. Which sounds like you tried last night, that just might be the answer. A friend of hers suggested a book: "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", by Marc Weissbluth (A Pediatrician & Sleep Expert). Good Luck!

Toni and Wade June 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I had the same problem with my daughter around that age. Someone suggested to me to follow the Dr. Sears sleeping program he has on his website. I was desperate and was willing to try anything at that point. I wasn't a fan of letting her cry out loud so I gave it a try. We both had to compromise with each other but in the end it worked and now she sleeps GREAT!

Just look for the sleep tabs.

Machelle June 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Ok, I really did not have this problem but this is what I would do if it were to happen...(I am sure when they get toddler beds I am going to face them getting in and out). BUT we do white noise as well, we play lullaby music (since they were born mind you, otherwise I may stay away from it) and we too followed Baby Wise.

I would do the 5, 10, 15 minute rule. If he starts to scream let him for 5 minutes. Go in there (do not pick him up) place him down on his back/tummy and rub him and tell him it is night night time...then repeat in 10 minutes if the screaming does not stop then again in 15...etc. etc. That is what I did to get the girls to sleep through the night and it only took 2 nights.

Also, I highly recommend play time before bed. We do dinner, bath, play, read, bed. They have about 1.5 hours after their bath before bed time so they get a lot of energy out.

Other wise, you are doing everything I would try. Good luck! Your sleeper will be back soon. It is just something new and he will outgrow it.

Machelle June 29, 2010 at 1:18 PM

OH OH OH and something else I use is a website. She uses Baby Wise on ALL her children and has helpful hints...

Chronicles of A Baby Wise mom

Sarah June 29, 2010 at 1:26 PM

We went through this same thing a few weeks ago. I thought Caleb was never going to go back to normal. Here is what we tried

-Sit a chair beside their bed. Everytime they stand up, lay them back down and softly say it is night night. It takes forever, but they eventually give in.

-After about a week or so of doing that we went back to crying it out. Every ten minutes we would return to the room, lay him back down, pat his back and say "it is night night time". Then we would exit the room. The longest this lasted was thirty minutes and C would be asleep.

-If it is beyond awful I have climbed in the crib and patted his back to calm him down (don't really suggest it, but it works).

caleb is back to normal now, so I think it is just a stage.

Candace June 29, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I think a consistent routine to give him cues that it's time to wind down is really good. We started doing the same routine every night since Cman was 6 weeks old. He's 2 1/2 now, and we still follow the same routine! Maybe you could try something similar every day for naptime also.

kinsey June 29, 2010 at 2:10 PM

hank does the same thing. i rock him, and love it. there is nothing wrong with it and it won't last forever ;-) i would definitely not swaddle. my doctor told me to stop doing that by 4 months old because it can affect their gross motor skills. i will definitely say that this age has thrown hank's sleeping patterns into different routines as well. it's their age and i'm sure he'll grow out of it. until then, enjoy the snuggles ;-) oh, we put stuffed animals and a book or 2 in hank's crib. he will often play with them sitting down and then konk over asleep. but, like i said, i rock him 9 out of 10 times he goes down.

MICHELL June 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM

In our house is has been the opposite....Rains never slept thru the night for the first 6 months waking several times a night and ALWAYS had to be rocked to sleep each time he woke...Now he no longer likes to be rocked and just goes right down when I lay him down and say 'Night Night, Mommy loves you' and he sleeps ALL night! I sure do miss rocking my baby to sleep:( Wish I had some advice but I'm sure it's just a learning stage for him.

Heather June 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM

We have down time before bed as well and it works for us. We also have a turtle that projects some of the constellations on the ceiling that is easier to look at if he's lying down. :)

btw, I've given you an award over at my site today!

PS~Erin June 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM

My advice... Just power through it. Try patting him w/o picking him up, to try not to create a new habit. It will pass, even though it seems never ending and huge when you're in the midst of it.