Pottery Barn Inspired Sand Box

If you know me, then you know I love me some Pottery Barn. What I do not love is the price tag on about 90% of their pretties. For example, their amazing sandbox. Talk about love at first site.  {drool}. Talk about the $400 price tag! {gasp}

Kyah loves playing in the volleyball court so I knew that he would love his own space.

What I loved most about the PB Sandbox was the fact that it was covered and that it was "fancy".  Not just a plastic turtle. {no offense to the plastic turtle lovers... I know you are out there}.

For weeks I pondered the thought of making my own. I knew it would cost way less if I went that route, but it was a matter of getting the materials and then finding a whole day to work on it. Not to mention I needed the hubs help.... and ladies... for a non-handy man, he did fabulous!  He most certainly gets a shout out for his hard work.

After a days worth of work and only $65, here is my little cutie in his very own, fancy, covered, sandbox!

We love it and we personally like it much better than the PB version. What do you think?
Would you like a How-To?

UPDATED:  Due to the overwhelming response requesting a tutorial, please click HERE and you will be directed to the "how-to" post.
Y'all sure know how to make a girl feel special!

Photobucket

27 comments:

Life, Crafts and Whatever June 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM

That. Is. AWESOME! You are such a wonderful momma, I can't wait until you meet your precious girl, she's going to be so lucky!

kimberlyann June 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM

that looks amazing! good job!

outjunking June 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM

How cute and somebody is certainly handy in your family.
Lisa

Laura June 16, 2011 at 11:37 PM

oh my goodness that rocks! so cute and hip! i like it way more than the pottery barn one! way to go!

Delightful Order June 17, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Oh, I simply MUST do this! My 3 year old needs a sandbox! Thanks for the inspiration!
DaNita

jenn June 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM

how awesome.....i would love to do that

Natalie June 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

What a fun place for him to play! Everytime I read your blog I just want you to come decorate my house and build me things haha : )
Definitely post a how-to! I can't believe how cheap you made it for...fabulous!

AmandaDF June 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM

You are so talented-that looks amazing!

Patterson Family June 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM

How adorable is this??! I LOVE it!!

Unfortunately, we have a turtle sandbox...although right now it has water in it because Drake just likes to eat the sand. lol!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend June 19, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Love them....they are amazing...so glad to catch up on your blog...Happy Sunday

Delightful Order June 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM

This is so great! I featured it today at my Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party. Feel free to stop by and grab a button, if you'd like.

DaNita

Jenn June 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Fabulous! And much better than the PB one! I love the patterns you chose.

Shelley July 10, 2011 at 7:23 AM

This is so great, what a lucky and completely adorable little guy! I've had this same project on my DIY list, but just haven't gotten to it yet. After seeing how great yours turned out I think I want to bump it up to the top of the list :)

Jackie July 10, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Please, please, please ...share a how-to. My son has been begging for a sandbox. Yours turned out beautiful. Hopefully my non-handy hubby can do just a good a job as yours...but we definitely need a how-to to get started.

shannon July 11, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I would LOVE a "how-to" on this! Please do!!!!

Katee July 26, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Would DEFINITELY love a how-to!!! My daughter just eats the sand right now, but this would be a wonderful project for the fall for our house!! :) SOOO cute!!

three14creations July 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Would LOVE a how-to! Love this sandbox and would love to make one for my son. Looks amazing!

jen0322 July 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Yes, yes please post a how to...I love it!

Leo x July 27, 2011 at 3:52 AM

OMG that is so gorgeous!!!

Kerri July 27, 2011 at 7:11 AM

I LOVE this idea! It's awesome! I might just try it for my 2 year old twin boys! Kerri, apopofpretty.com

Michelle@Somedaycrafts July 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I love this idea too! What a great knock-off. My son spends hours every day in the sand box and I want to make a covering now!!! I am highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. I would LOVE to host the tutorial (guest post) of this tutorial on my blog. It will get you more traffic and followers. Please let me know if you are going to do a tutorial and if you would to guest post. THanks!

Brooke October 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I would love a How-To! Saw this on Pinterest and really want to know how to do this :)

Lauren @ The Well Crafted Home May 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Much cuter than the PB version! I love it!! I am your newest follower!

Lizzie Simantz May 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I'm a new follower - I found your blog through Pinterest when I was looking for a DIY sandbox. Yours is so adorable!! We used yours as a pictured guideline and my hubby got to work creating it, I would love if you checked it out!

Loving your blog so far!